UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO, NEW ZEALAND
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY
SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a dynamic researcher and teacher to join a growing and highly committed group of clinical anatomy researchers and teachers in a large, diverse and research-oriented Department. We are seeking candidates with energy and vision to pursue and engage in new opportunities in the area of clinical anatomy.
In this role, you will be required to:
· undertake world-leading research, preferentially in clinical anatomy, developing/building a strong portfolio of publications and grant successes; and
· contribute to the development and delivery of clinical anatomy teaching programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels to Health Science (medical, dental and physiotherapy) and Science students.
The Department offers:
· a world-class working environment in a top-ranked University, and an Anatomy Department ranked 24th in the 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject;
· interdisciplinary programmes encompassing clinical anatomy, biological anthropology, neuroscience, and reproduction, genomics and development;
· excellent support in teaching and research.
Your Skills and Experience
We seek an appointee who:
· is committed to excellence in research and has proven research ability/excellence within their field of research; and
· is committed to excellence in research-led teaching and has proven clinical anatomy teaching ability especially within undergraduate and/or postgraduate medical programmes.
Applicants for appointment as a Senior Lecturer will have an on-going and active independent research programme with funding success; applicants for appointment as a Lecturer will have the potential to develop such a programme.
Applicants will hold a PhD or equivalent qualification e.g. Doctor of Medicine (MD); Master of Surgery; a professional clinical qualification would be advantageous.
Applications should include a cover letter, a CV, an outline of the candidate's teaching philosophy and research plans.
The University of Otago is an EEO employer committed to the Treaty of Waitangi and to equity.
The Department of Anatomy and School of Biomedical Sciences aspire to be the research and educational partner of choice for Maori and Pacific communities.
The salary range for a non-medical/dental Lecturer is $78,445 to $NZD93,821 per annum, and for Senior Lecturer is $NZD98,682 to $NZD113,519 per annum.
The salary range for a medical/dental qualified Lecturer is $NZD79,500 to $NZD98,711 per annum, and for Senior Lecturer is $NZD123,124 to $NZD155,144 per annum.
Initial appointment will be made at an appropriate step in these ranges based on qualifications and experience.
How to apply
Applications quoting reference number 1701405 will close on Sunday, 20 August 2017.
To see a full job description and to apply online go to: https://otago.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=1701405
Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.
E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.
Department of Anatomy
Ross University School of Medicine, located on the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominica in the West Indies, invites applications for a faculty post at any rank in Histology. Our mission is to prepare highly dedicated students to become effective, successful physicians in the United States. Basic science coursework is taught in Dominica and students then complete their clinical studies in the United States. After passing all prerequisite examinations, Ross graduates are licensed to practice medicine in all 50 states of the U.S. Ross University School of Medicine is a division of DeVry, Inc (NYSE:DV)
Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year. Effective teachers are sought, particularly individuals who are interested in improving medical education and who work well on a team. Research opportunities exist, primarily in the area of medical education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The preparation of course material (PowerPoints, handouts, practice questions, etc.).
- The delivery of effective lectures
· Prepare, administer and evaluate examinations to assess the development of student accomplishments.
· Supervise educational activities of students under actual or simulated situations
· Prepare instructional plans and career analyses to reflect current changes in the field
· Advise individuals or groups of students in academic matters and exercise professional judgment in referring students to appropriate personnel
· Develop new instructional materials and teaching techniques with participation in on-going reviews and revision of curriculum planning
· Actively participate in relevant professional activities in order to improve teaching and subject matter competence
· Serve on faculty committees as appointed or elected, and confer with advisory groups in order to modify course content
· Participate in other activities as assigned by the department chair or executive dean
· Extensive knowledge of Histology, embryology expertise a plus
· Ability to relate histological concepts to clinical scenarios
· Excellent communication skills in English
· Documented record of teaching effectiveness in histology and teaching in embryology a plus
· Experience in computer-assisted delivery of course content
· Interest in medical education
· Desire for self improvement
· Flexibility and ability to work well on a team
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
· Ph.D. in Anatomy / Cell Biology / Histology or equivalent or M.D./Ph.D.
· Enthusiastic teacher with previous teaching experience at a North American or United Kingdom medical school
Ross University offers a competitive potentially tax-free annual salary, relocation assistance to and from the island, a retirement program, tuition assistance benefit, scholarship program for dependents, 100% medical benefits paid for the employee, travel benefits, a living allowance, 57 days of leave (includes days for vacation, holidays, professional development and sick/personal days). We also offer opportunities for professional development, which includes a conference and book allowance.
To apply, please visit our website www.rossu.edu; select Careers and complete our online application process. EOE